Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Boy or Girl?

For the longest time, Tim and I couldn't decide if we wanted to know the sex of the baby before birth. There's something great about the surprise at birth.

I could say we chose to find out because of logistical reasons (there are only so many gender neutral clothes you can buy - before getting sick of yellow, green, blue and red, needing to decorate the nursery, etc). But in reality, we just want to know and are too excited not to ask.

We may be able to find out next week, assuming the baby is turned the right way and all that. If we still can't tell during that appointment, we have a 'big' ultrasound scheduled on September 11th. Our doctor said we will be able to see EVERYTHING at that time due to the fancy, dancy equipment - 2 hands, 10 toes, good bits, everything.

So, what do you think? We'll open a poll (see the right hand column) and I'll give you some hints, based on old wives tales...

BOY:
I am carrying the extra weight out front.
I am carrying low.
Sleeping in a bed with my pillow to the north indicates that I will be having a boy.
I didn't have morning sickness early in pregnancy. (neither did my mom, and she had 3 girls and 1 boy)
My chest development has not been very dramatic during pregnancy, unfortunately. Although tim said otherwise this morning... maybe I'm just wearing baggy clothes and don't notice.
The sum of the mother's age at conception and the number of the month of conception is even.
I have been having headaches.

GIRL:
The hair on my legs is not growing any faster during pregnancy.
Tim hasn't been gaining weight along with me.
A needle on a thread held over my belly moved from side-to-side.
I am craving sweets.
My nose hasn't changed during pregnancy (can this happen?! yikes), which indicates a girl.
I have been craving fruits (I think this is the same as 'sweets', as it probably has to do with the sugar in fruit - but whatever, wives tales!).
I love to have orange juice daily.
My belly looks like a watermelon.
Lastly, according to this Chinese Gender Predictor, we are having a girl.

What do you think? Vote in the gender poll to the right.

If you want to wait to vote, we'll probably be posting an 18 week photo next week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well we had fun trying to figure out & waited to our little man's birth day to know for sure. So let me tell you some things that happened which made us think our little one was a girl. The needle over the belly went back and forth, I was always craving lemonade, my nose did not grow or change, and the Chinese Gender Predictor thought it was to be a girl. Have fun!

lisat said...

I guess boy! (or maybe just wishful thinking to give my boys some company!)

PerryBlog said...

If your belly looks like a watermelon, we need a picture SOON!

Zervis Family said...

I am guessing boy - for no particular reason except my own experience. I carried out front (very low), CRAVED fruit, and well...didn't grow much in the chest area. But who knows. It's so much fun to guess! Can't wait to hear the final word.